As mothers, we always strive to give our little ones the best care possible, and that often involves staying aware of their needs even when we can’t be physically around them. One thing we absolutely can’t live without is a baby monitor. But hang on just a second, before you go out and splurge on a state-of-the-art monitor, let’s pry open an assuredly untapped reservoir of potential – your old smartphones! Can you actually use them as a baby monitor? Today, I’m going to take you on an exciting odyssey exploring this possibility and looking at all the facets involved. So, buckle up!
The Baby Monitor Essentials
First, it’s important to understand what attributes make for a good baby monitor. These aren’t just gadgets; they’re instruments of security and peace of mind.
- Audio Monitoring: The primary functionality – to listen to the baby’s sounds.
- Visual Monitoring: Video functions that allow parents to see the baby, whether sleeping or playing.
- Connectivity: The ability to transmit information to a device within a reasonable range reliably.
- Evolved Functions: Advanced monitors may also track room temperature, baby’s movements, or even heart rate.
From Smartphone to Baby Monitor
Interestingly, our smartphones have nearly all these attributes inbuilt. They have microphones for audio, cameras for video, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for connectivity, and apps that can add extra features. So theoretically, you can use your old smartphone as a baby monitor. But how, exactly?
Setting Up Your Smartphone Baby Monitor
Indeed, the transformation journey from smartphone to baby monitor is more straightforward than you might think. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
- Prepare the Phone: Make sure your old smartphone is clean and functioning correctly. Ensure that both the front and back cameras and the microphone work properly. Clean the device physically to ensure it is safe for your baby’s environment.
- Find a Suitable App: There are plenty of applications available on both the App Store and Google Play, such as Baby Monitor 3G, Dormi, or Cloud Baby Monitor. Research and find one that suits your needs.
- Install the App: Install the chosen baby monitor app on both your old and current smartphone. Connect both phones to a reliable internet source.
- Setup: Follow the setup guide provided by your chosen app to sync the two devices. Typically, one acts as the ‘baby unit’ (old phone), and the other becomes the ‘parent unit’ (current phone).
- Position the Device: Position the old smartphone in your baby’s nursery in a way that gives you a clear view of your baby. It should be out of your baby’s reach and securely fastened so it can’t fall.
Pros and Cons of Using a Smartphone as a Baby Monitor
While the innovative use of your old smartphone saves you from buying a new monitor, there are both advantages and potential drawbacks.
- Cost-Effective: You will save on the cost of purchasing a new baby monitor.
- Multifunction: Smartphones can do more than conventional baby monitors, from playing lullabies to recording videos.
- App Flexibility: You can switch to different baby monitor apps according to your requirements.
- Internet Dependency: A stable internet connection is critical for proper functioning and can cause disruption if unstable.
- Limited Range: Unlike standalone monitors with a dedicated radio connection, the range might be limited to your Wi-Fi coverage.
In the digital age, re-purposing an old smartphone as a baby monitor could be a feasible and budget-friendly choice for parents. While the setup requires some technical know-how and reliable Wi-Fi, the pros outweigh the cons for most. So, before you trudge all the way to the store or add another device to your online cart, take a look at the old smartphone collecting dust in the drawer.
With some research, an appropriate app choice, and a fiddle or two with the settings, your old smartphone could reincarnate as a perfectly serviceable, high-tech, and practical baby monitor. All you need is to unlock its potential!