Why Do You Need a Travel Baby Monitor?
If you are a parent who loves to travel, a travel baby monitor is an absolute must-have. It’s your extra pair of eyes and ears keeping tabs on your baby while you’re trying to get some shut-eye, or when you’re busy with something else at your home away from home. Even if you’re tucked away in a cozy vacation rental, it’s essential to still be able to keep an eye on your little one peacefully snoozing away in another room. Travel baby monitors are also pretty compact and most of them are even designed specifically for travel, meaning they’ll take up little space in your suitcase.
What to Look for in a Travel Baby Monitor: Key Features
The main reason to invest in a travel baby monitor rather than just taking your at-home monitor on the road with you is portability. The monitor should be compact, lightweight, and easy to pack in your luggage. Some monitors even come with travel cases for added convenience.
When you’re on the go, the last thing you want to worry about is constantly charging your baby monitor. A monitor with a long battery life will provide peace of mind, and some monitors also come with the option of using batteries instead of a power cord, which can be particularly handy for camping trips.
A good travel baby monitor should also have enough range to cover where you’ll be. If you’ll be staying in a large vacation home or visiting relatives with a big house, make sure your monitor can keep its signal wherever you go in the property.
The Best Travel Baby Monitors
With these features in mind, here are my top picks for the best travel baby monitors:
- Infant Optics DXR-5 Portable Video Baby Monitor – This is a compact, reliable option that uses invisible IR night vision to deliver clear video, even in complete darkness. The unit has a range of 800 feet and boasts an impressive 12 hours of battery life on power-saving mode.
- iBaby M7 Lite Baby Monitor – The iBaby is Wi-Fi enabled, allowing you to easily check on your baby from your smartphone, no matter where you are. This unit also monitors the room’s temperature and humidity, ensuring your baby’s comfort.
- VTech DM221 Audio Baby Monitor – If you don’t need video and are just looking for an audio monitor, this model from VTech is a great option. It offers clear audio up to 1,000 feet away, a night-light on the baby unit, and uses DECT 6.0 digital technology for clear, interference-free audio.
Tricks for Travelling With a Baby Monitor
When travelling with a baby monitor, there are some tricks that can make your life much easier:
- Check the Outlet Situation – Before leaving, find out what kind of outlets your destination uses if travelling internationally, as you may need to bring an adapter.
- Pack Extra Batteries – Even if your monitor is rechargeable, it can be really handy to have a backup power source just in case.
- Test it at Home – Before you go, test out the baby monitor at home to make sure you know how it works and to verify it’s working properly.
Having a travel baby monitor can provide invaluable peace of mind when you’re travelling with your little one. Whether you’re after a top-of-the-range video monitor, or just need something to pick up audio, there’s a travel baby monitor out there for you. Safe travels!